Saturday 20 July 2013

Event Planning - Part 2

So as I mentioned, I'm in the midst of planning my book signing. And I got the most of the steps checked off my list. But here is a refresher:

1. Choose a Theme
2. Choose a Location
3. Alert the Media & Get the Word Out There
4. Prepare to Talk
5. Sign & Sell

So as for a theme, I thought about this good and hard. Honey, I’m Home is a story about a woman living with spousal abuse. Although my book is fictional, I am aware of the sad truth that domestic abuse is not. I included information at the back of my book for people all over the world who are in Katie's situation and are looking for help. I am also aware that this is not enough, so I am looking to do more.

Because October is National Domestic Violence Awarenessmonth, I have chosen to do my book signing during this time. I will also have information about Domestic Violence in hopes to raise awareness on this subject.

I was shocked to discover that in Canada, one woman is murdered by her domestic partner every six days. And that Durham Region has only four shelters, and at those shelters there are only 83 beds total available for women and children in emergency situations. That is one bed for approximately every 7,326 people in Durham (according to 2011 census population stats).  This statistic breaks my heart.

One of those four shelters in Durham is called The Denise House. I was first introduced to The Denise House years ago when my church, Kingsview Untied, was holding it’s annual Outreach Walk-a-thon. I was much younger at that time and only really understood that it was a shelter for abused women. But during my research on this topic, I discovered so much more than that, I was amazed by all the wonderful programs and resources you offer there. I was touched by the story of Denise Penny and why the shelter was renamed to honour the memory of her.


To coincide with my book signing and Domestic Violence Awareness Month, I will be donating $1 for every book sold in the month of October to The Denise House.

Though the date is not yet set, I am happy to be doing something to help women out and I hope my readers will feel the same way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment